|MU100||Music and its Contexts|
|MU271||Music History II: Romantic and Twentieth-Century Music up to 1945|
|MU375||Modern Music 1890-1975|
- search for your keyword(s) in the Omni
- from the results page, limit to "Books & eBooks" under Resource Type at the left
- check subjects assigned to individual books
- for thematic catalogues, add the phrase "thematic catalogs" to your search
- books from M to MT are on the 4th floor of the Laurier Waterloo Library
Browsing the shelves (4th floor)
- M = the music itself (scores, printed music, recordings)
- ML = books about music history and literature
- MT = books about music theory, education and methods
Other book resources
- try ebook collections to search every word in the ebooks at Laurier
- use WorldCat to identify books beyond Omni
- item's not in Omni? Request from other libraries
- more resources, including public library catalogues
Scores in print
- Search Omni to find scores at Laurier and other Omni libraries
- enter your keywords. Examples: composer, title, subject, instrument, form (sonatas, songs, etc.), opus number (the more keywords you use, the fewer the results)
- from the results page, click on "Scores" under "Resource Types"
- not finding your item? Try searching for just the composer's name, or add a keyword for works: "complete works" or werke (German), oeuvres (French), opera (Latin), opere (Italian) or obras (Spanish).
- your score may be part of a collected edition. Check Oxford Music Online to identify the volume you need
- WorldCat, a database of many library catalogues, may help you identify your score in a collection
- find scores on the 4th floor: on the shelves by Regina St. or in the Ensemble Collection
- located near the elevators on the 4th floor of the Waterloo campus Library
- limited hours; contact Christina Kerr to make an appointment
- comprised of orchestral, choral and chamber scores plus individual parts
- identify items using Omni
- when the Collection is closed, pick up and return materials at the main floor service desk
- for faculty requests, allow at least two weeks for processing. Due date is one week after the concert date
- ensemble materials may be rented by outside users with permission of the Faculty of Music
- Classical Scores Library
- Scores and manuscripts from the Renaissance to the 21st century.
- International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP)
- Large and growing collection of high-quality public domain scores.
- Art Song Central
- Archive of standard classical and traditional repertoire. Includes IPA transcriptions for the German, French, Italian and Latin songs.
- Choral Public Domain Library
- Large collection of public domain choral music. Includes texts and translations.
- Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Complete works of Mozart in digitized format. Includes critical commentaries.
- Sheet Music from Canada's Past
- Hundreds of pieces of music chosen from the historical collection of the National Library of Canada. To find full-image scores, browse for "printed music."
- Sheet Music Consortium
- Brings together sheet music collections from various libraries and archives.
- Other Music Score Websites (via IMSLP)
- Comprehensive list of links.
Recordings in the Library
Search Omni to identify recordings. Steps:
- enter keywords. Examples: composer, title, subject, instrument, form (sonatas, songs), opus number
- Note: the more different keywords you use, the fewer the results
- from the results page, click on "Audio Visual" under "Resource Type"
- items in the Laurier Library are on the 4th floor, on the shelves by Regina St.
- Laurier students may borrow listening materials for class presentations. A note from a member of Laurier Music Faculty is required. Loan period is 24 hours, with no renewal.
- Laurier Music faculty may borrow listening materials for one-week, except for materials on Reserve.
- Listening Equipment
- Naxos Music Library
- Large, growing music-streaming collection, particularly for classical music.
- Music & Performing Arts
- Includes Classical Music Library, plus American song, world music and jazz.
- Provides access to hundreds of classical music live events and recordings
- Opera in Video
- Opera performances on video, along with interviews, and documentaries.
- Canadian Music Centre
- Choose Centrestreams and create an account to hear archival recordings by Canadian composers.
- British Library Sounds
- Includes classical music, jazz, world music, dialects, sound recording history.
- Recorded Sound Reference Center (Library of Congress)
- Historical recordings, including songs, band music, folklife, vaudeville, spoken word and more.
- Virtual Gramophone (Library and Archives Canada)
- Early 20th century recordings with Canadian content.