Resource Guide for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) and Coronavirus Disease (Covid-19)
Last updated: October 13, 2021
This guide presents information resources on the topic of the pandemic. This resource is intended for research purposes only. For personal health questions and concerns, please visit Health Canada or the Region of Waterloo.
Naming and Dates
Official disease name: coronovirus disease (COVID-19) (Feb. 11, 2020)
Virus that causes the disease: severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)
Previous known as the "2019 novel coronavirus"
Global pandemic declared on March 11, 2020
World Health Organization (n.d). "Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it".
World Health Organization (April 27, 2020). "WHO Timeline - COVID-19."
All capitalized COVID-19 however, some news source only capitalize what you say as a word and will use Covid-19.
New PubMed MeSH term for January 2021 - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/mesh?Db=mesh&Cmd=DetailsSearch&Term=%22Coro...
((wuhan[tw] AND (coronavirus[tw] OR corona virus[tw])) OR nCov[tw] OR 2019 ncov[tw] OR novel coronavirus[tw] OR novel corona virus[tw] OR covid-19[tw] OR SARS-COV-2[tw] OR Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2[tw] OR coronavirus disease 2019[tw] OR corona virus disease 2019[tw] OR new coronavirus[tw] OR new corona virus[tw] OR new coronaviruses[all] OR novel coronaviruses[all] OR "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2"[nm] OR 2019 ncov[tw] OR nCov 2019[tw] OR SARS Coronavirus 2[all])
2019nCoV|"2019 nCoV|CoV|coronavirus"|"2019 novel|new coronavirus|cov"|"wuhan coronavirus|cov|ncov|outbreak"|"wuhan*coronavirus|cov|ncov|outbreak"|"wuhan**coronavirus|cov|ncov|outbreak"|"coronavirus|cov|ncov*wuhan"
(coronavirus AND novel)
<iframe src="https://h5p.wlu.ca/h5p/241/embed" width="868" height="300" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe><script src="https://h5p.wlu.ca/modules/contrib/h5p/vendor/h5p/h5p-core/js/h5p-resize... charset="UTF-8"></script>
- The following is a sample of search strings for topics related to COVID-19. These strings have been developed and peer-reviewed by Research Information Specialists at CADTH. However, they have not been validated against a gold standard set of articles. Note, too, that the vocabulary and subject headings surrounding these topics are continuously changing. Individuals using these strings are therefore responsible for ensuring they are accurate, complete, and up to date. Specific PubMed links are included wherever possible.
- a curated list of evidence-based resources for health professionals, librarians and researchers
- Science Forum: SARS-CoV-19 (COVID-19) by the numbers - Article from Elife with excellent infographic
- Novel coronavirus complete genome - GenBank
- GitHub Data - Novel Coronavirus 2019 time series data on cases
- COVID-19 open research dataset - Full-text and metadata dataset of COVID-19 and coronavirus-related research articles optimized for machine readability.
- Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) John Hopkins University
- COVID Trends - This interactive charts the confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the past week vs. the confirmed cases to date. When plotted in this way, exponential growth is represented as a straight line that slopes upwards. Notice that almost all countries follow a very similar path of exponential growth.
- Coronavirus with R
- Coronavirus with Tableau
- Coronavirus from Semantic Scholar
- Our World in Data with Coronavirus
- Machine readable covid 19 dataset
- Situation Update Worldwide - European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
- National COVID Cohort Collaborative - building a centralized national data resource — the NCATS N3C Data Enclave — that the research community can use to study COVID-19 and identify potential treatments as the pandemic continues to evolve.
- COVID Tracking - US only
- Statista - Coronavirus deaths worldwide
- Statistics Canada
- COVID-19 a Data Perspective
- Table 13-10-0767-01 Detailed confirmed cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) (Preliminary data), Canada 3093 cases, with gender, age group, type of exposure, severity and status. Inactive now.
- Covid survey, Crowdsourcing: Impacts of COVID19 on Canadians. From the Statcan site: this crowdsourcing survey “collects data on the current economic and social situation, as well as on people's physical and mental health, to effectively assess the needs of communities and implement suitable support measures during and after the pandemic.”
- Epidemiological summary of COVID-19 cases in Canada - (From Public Health that has links to all the data sources by province)
- Information is beautiful
- GIS & Data
- Health Map
- How Much
- World's Air Pollution in Real Time
- Global Influenza Surveillance and Response (coronavirus genetic analysis)
- A GIS Hub provided by Esri Canada to share information about the coronavirus pandemic. Nice visualization tool.
- COVID 19 Data Resource Centre - Lexis Nexis - Map of the US only
- Tracker with Vizzes - Tableau dashboard
- Medical Exemptions - COVID-19 Medical Exemptions from the University of Waterloo
- LitCOVID - LitCOVID is a curated literature hub for tracking up-to-date scientific information about the 2019 novel Coronavirus. It is the most comprehensive resource on the subject, providing a central access to 1120 (and growing) research articles in PubMed. The articles are updated daily and are further categorized by different research topics and geographic locations for improved access.
- WHO Global Research on coronavirus disease (COVID-19) - WHO is gathering the latest international multilingual scientific findings and knowledge on COVID-19. The global literature cited in the WHO COVID-19 database is updated daily (Monday through Friday) from searches of bibliographic databases, hand searching, and the addition of other expert-referred scientific articles. This database represents a comprehensive multilingual source of current literature on the topic. While it may not be exhaustive, new research is added regularly. In addition, it supports searching pre-prints from a select group of pre-print repository.
- Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19): Authoritative and Relevant Resources - ProQuest - To help you better understand and discover the latest on COVID-19, including what it is, how it spreads and ways to keep safe, our editors have hand-selected particularly relevant articles from the most reliable global sources.
- The COVID-19 Solutions Guide - COVID-19 upended life as we knew it. To navigate the "new normal", our guide examines the adoption and adaptation of technology in response to the global pandemic.
- Coronavirus - Cochrane -"This Special Collection has been created in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and is regularly updated. It aims to ensure immediate access to systematic reviews most directly relevant to the management of people hospitalized with severe acute respiratory infections. It includes reviews that are relevant to the WHO interim guidance, those identified as relevant by Cochrane Acute and Emergency Care, and also draws on the knowledge of Cochrane groups in affected regions."
- Novel Coronavirus Information Center - Elsevier - Medical research on COVID-19 from Elsevier and Coronavirus Research Hub for clinicians.
- Coronavirus - New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) - "A collection of articles and other resources on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus outbreak, including clinical reports, management guidelines, and commentary."
- COVID-19 Tools & Resources for Clinicians - Wolters Kluwer from Global Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology Online Network (Gideon) - a unique resource dedicated to the detection, prevention, and education of infectious diseases. This multimedia resource features up-to-date information and visual tools for diagnosing diseases and following the latest trends in epidemiology and treatment.
- SARS-CoV-2 and Covid-19 - Springer-Nature - As a leading research publisher, Springer Nature is committed to supporting the global response to emerging outbreaks by enabling fast and direct access to the latest available research, evidence, and data.
- Coronavirus and COVID-19 from Nature.
- COVID-19: Novel Coronavirus Outbreak - Wiley - In addition to the articles on this site related to the current outbreak, Wiley is also making a collection of journal articles and our book chapters on coronavirus research freely available to the global scientific community.
- BioXiv - Preprint server for biology
- Coronavirus Primer - Annual Reviews
- ACS - Assay Techniques and Test Development for COVID-19 Diagnosis
- Top 10 Coronavirus Research Articles by Metrics - Nature
- OutbreakScience - Rapid PREreview - find reviews of existing preprints and request reviews of your own preprints
- BMJ's Coronavirus (COVID-19) Hub - BMJ's covid-19 hub supports health professionals and researchers with practical guidance, online CPD courses, as well as the latest news, comment, and research from BMJ. The content is free and updated daily.
- COVID-END - COVID-19 Evidence network to support decision making.
- Epistomonikos COVID-19 Evidence
- SPOR - COVID-19 Evidence Synthesis
- ZB MED - COVID-19 HUB - provides special services to support research. Gradual expansion of services to support research on SARS-CoV-2 in the field of virology and related areas.
- COVID19 Recommendations and Gateway to Contextualization. This eCOVID-19 living map of recommendations is funded by CIHR.
- FasterCures: COVID-19 Treatment and Vaccine Tracker from the Milken Institute
- Resources and Tools for Researchers considering and conducting COVID-19 evidence syntheses from COVID-END and McMaster
- COVIDView - CDC Weekly surveillance summary of US cases.
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Pandemic - The World Health Organization (WHO) site on the virus. Includes general information, disease surveillance and technical information, and advice for travelers.
- COVID Tracking Project - Collects and publishes the most complete testing for the US states and territories.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) MedLinePlus.gov - Staying up to date with the latest information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institute of Health.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary CDC.
- JSTOR Resources During the Coronavirus
- McMaster Health Forum - guide to evidence sources
- UBC Guide for Researchers
- Ontario Medical Association Guide
- US Defense Technical Information Center - Information Relevant to Coronavirus Research
- The Covid-19 Ontario Government Communications collection
- The Scientist COVID-19 Vaccine Frontrunners - updated
- Milken Institute - COVID-19 Treatment Vaccine Tracker
- BIO's Industry Analysis Team - Therapeutic Development Tracker
- The Operation Warp Speed Strategy for Distriubuting a COVID-19 Vaccine - From the Factory to the Frontlines
- WHO - Draft landscape and tracker of COVID-19 candidate vaccines
- Nextstrain SARS-CoV-2 resources
- New York Times Coronavirus Variants and Mutants
- The Lancet Infectious Diseases - CovMT: an interactive SARS-CoV-2 mutation tracker, with a focus on critical variants
- COVID-19 virus mutation tracker enabled by data from GISAID
- WHO Coronavirus (COVID-19) Dashboard
- Chief Public Health Officer of Canada's Report on the State of Public Health in Canada 2020: From Risk to Resilience: An Equity Approach to COVID-19
- Protecting Our Home Fires
- Banning J. Why are Indigenous communities seeing so few cases of COVID-19? CMAJ. 2020 Aug 24;192(34):E993-E994. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.1095891. PMID: 32839171.
- Richardson L, Crawford A. COVID-19 and the decolonization of Indigenous public health. CMAJ. 2020 Sep 21;192(38):E1098-E1100. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.200852. PMID: 32958575; PMCID: PMC7532009.
- Banning J. How Indigenous people are coping with COVID-19. CMAJ. 2020 Jul 6;192(27):E787-E788. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.1095879. PMID: 32631914.
- Power T, Wilson D, Best O, Brockie T, Bourque Bearskin L, Millender E, Lowe J. COVID-19 and Indigenous Peoples: An imperative for action. J Clin Nurs. 2020 Aug;29(15-16):2737-2741. doi: 10.1111/jocn.15320. Epub 2020 May 29. PMID: 32412150; PMCID: PMC7272911.
- COVID-19 In Community: How Are First Nations Responding? Yellowhead Institute, April 7, 2020
- The impact of COVID-19 on indigenous communities: Insights from the Indigenous Navigator, October 8, 2020 from International Labor OrganizationFirst Nations in BC and the Overdose Crisis: COVID-19 Pandemic Sparks Surge in Overdose Deaths. Infographic. June 2020
MisInformation and Myths
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center Videos
- Training videos for PCR testing of COVID-19
- Fighting Pandemics National Geographic
- The coroavirus outbreak (2019 nCoV) explained through 3D animations
- How to tell if we're beating COVID-19 by minutephysics
- Exponetial Growth and Epidemics by 3Blue1Brown
- CBC's The Passionate Eye - "Coronavirus": a look at how the outbreak occurred and whether a cover-up by Chinese authories allowed the virus to spread. (45 mins.)
- COVID-19: Tracing the First Month of the Novel Coronavirus - Insight
- Wiley Science Talks with Cochrane. Understanding Health Evidence - A COVID-19 Case Study
- HSTalks. The Current Understanding of the Biology of the SARS-COV-2 Virus. March 2020. Comparison between this new SARS-COV-2 strain and other coronavirus strains - What information we... An interview with Prof. Peter Palese of Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
HSTalks. SARS-COV-2 Vaccine: Current Biological Targets and Considerations. March 2020.
An interview with Dr. Adolfo Garcia-Sastre from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
Electronic Books available through Laurier Library:
- Coronavius: a guide to understanding the virus and what is known so far by Centers for Disease Control
- Plagues and the paradox of progress: why the world is getting healthier and in worrisome ways by Thomas J. Bollyky
- Seven modern plagues and how we are causing them by Jerome Mark Walters
- Typhoid Mary: Captive to the Public Health by Judith Walzer Leavitt
- North American plan for animal and pandemic influenza by Public Safety Canada
- Pandemic (H1N1) 2009: a review of Ontario's response by Ontario Ministry Health and Long Term Care
- H1N1 2009 pandemic analysis: evaluation and scenarios for post pandemic planning by Paul Smetanin, Carla Briante, David Stiff and Risk Analytica
- Molecular biology of the SARS-coronavirus by Sunil K. Lal
- SARS a case study in emerging infections by Angela R. McLean
- Learning from SARS: Preparing for the next disease outbreak: Workshop Summary by National Academies Press
- The SARS commission final report Ontario Minstry of Health and Long Term Care
- The psychology of pandemics: preparing for the next global oubreak of infectious disease by Steven Taylor
- The Power of Plagues by Irwin w. Sherman
- Epidemics and Society: from the black death to the present by Frank M. Snowden
Books from Other Publishers
- Elsevier COVID-19 - The Essentials of Prevention and Treatment
- National Academic Press (NAP) Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine
- National Academic Press (NAP) Coronavirus Resource Collection
- National Academic Press (NAP) Rapid Expert Consultations on the COVID-19 Pandemic
- National Academic Press (NAP) Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine
- Vulnerable: The Law Policy and Ethics of COVID-19 by Colleen M. Flood, Vanessa MacDonnell, Jane Philpott, Sophie Thériault, Sridhar Venkatapuram
- Johns Hopkins Press Digital Contact Tracing for Pandemic Response: Ethics and Governance Guidance
edited by Jeffrey P. Kahn and Johns Hopkins Project on Ethics and Governance of Digital Contact Tracing Technologies