E-Books and Articles
- So You Want to Temporarily Teach Online. Stephanie Moore & Charles B. Hodges. March 11, 2020. Inside Higher Ed.
- How to Quickly (and Safely) Move a Lab Course Online. Heather L. Taft. March 17, 2020. Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Going Online in a Hurry: What to Do and Where to Start. Michelle D. Miller. March 9, 2020. Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Transforming Your Online Teaching From Crisis to Community. Cathy N. Davidson & Christina Katopodis. March 11, 2020. Inside Higher Ed.
- Handbook of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Roger L. Lundblad. 2010
- Teaching Health Care in Virtual Space: Best Practices for Educators in Multi-User Virtual Environments. Estelle Codier. 2016
- Accessible Elements. Teaching Science Online and at a Distance. Lawton Shaw & Dietmar Kennepohl. 2010
- Teaching Lab Science Courses Online: Resources for Best Practices, Tools and Technology. Linda Jeschofnig & Peter Jeschofnig. 2011
- Clinical Microbiology Procedures Handbook. Ed. Amy L. Leber. 2016
- JOVE - Journal of Visualized Experiments - Free Access till June 15, 2020
This resources is a journal publishing videos of scientific experiments from laboratories around the world, allowing scientists, educators, and students to see the details of experimental methods rather than read them in text.
The site allows basic searching by keyword, advanced searching with multiple fields and filters, and browsing video articles by publication date or popularity. Search results can be further refined and filtered.
Sage Knowledge - Books and videos.
CheMagic Chemical Demonstration Videos - from Illinois State University
Online Resources for Science Laboratories Remote Learning - a Google document
- Virtual Microscope - Basics of microscope use trainings and animations.
- MyVRScope - Immersive microscopy Virtual Reality (VR) lab ecosystem, where students and faculty access microbiology content lab activities on-demand using VR headsets. myVRscope leverages a virtual 3D photorealistic compound light microscope for learner activities and integrates the user experience with an Artificial Intelligence (AI) lab instructor - Dr. Beaker for support & guidance.
- Online Labs in Biology - A list of freely available online biology lab resources, including microscopy, genetics and life science.
- Virtual Labs Biology Collection - National Science Teaching Association
- American Association of Chemical Teachers - Chemistry concepts for exploration via interactive simulation.
- Chem Collective - Numerous general chemistry - related laboratory experiences demonstrated.
- Online Labs in Chemistry - A list of freely available online chemistry lab resources, including general chemistry and organic chemistry simulations.
Mathematics and Physics
- Phet Interactive Simulations - Interactive simulations for Math and Science.
- Online Labs in Physics - A list of freely available online physics lab resources, including condensed matter, atomic/molecular and particle physics.
- Physics Simulations - Click on the simulations and see the simulation in real time.
- The Physics Classroom -
- Online Math Class - University of California Santa Barbara
Other Free-to-Use Resources
- MIT Open Lab Resources - Numerous general scientific laboratory experiences demonstrated.
- Merlot Simulation Collection - The Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) at the California State University has collected descriptions and links to a huge number of simulations, with peer review ratings and comments, and information on their appropriateness for various levels.
- Interactive Simulations in OASIS - Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry & Biology
- Libre - Online textbooks platform
- LabXchange - Simulations for physical sciences and health. Interactives for Biological Sciences and Scientific Process. Additional interactive animations available in numerous scientific disciplines.
Open Education Resources (OER)
- check out the Library page here