Examples of research
Bowes, M. J. (2019). Psychological adjustment, relationship satisfaction, and communication in bereaved parents using the bowen family systems theory (Order No. 27602939).
- see Page 74-75
James, L. L. R. (2019). The experiences of african american marriage and family therapists: Their contributions to the marriage and family therapy field (Order No. 27776309). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (2354751753).
Database searching tips
- Developing a research question: for graduate students
- Consider word variations and synonyms
- think about how others might refer to your ideas
- e.g, child death, perinatal death, neonatal death, stillbirth, sudden infant death, etc.
- Better searching using AND, OR, NOT
- AND (all terms) OR (one of the terms) NOT (exclude terms)
- Parentheses and Boolean operators can be used to set apart search groups
- NEAR/# = search terms within a specified number of words apart, e.g., nursing NEAR/3 education
- Limit or expand terms
- "quotation marks" (exact) truncat* (truncate, truncates, truncated, truncation, etc.)
- Employ search limiters (available limiters depend on the database)
- peer reviewed, article type, date
- in PsycINFO, can include: age group, population group, methodology
- Identify key publications and authors
- note citations, and cited references, repeated author names
- Document and track everything you do in the steps above
Choosing a Library Database
- Databases for Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy
- If you already know the title of an article, you can search for it in Omni
The Laurier Library also many resources devoted to research methodologies. Search Omni (and filter for books) for some of these terms: Action research; Case study; Field research; Grounded theory; Qualitative research; Quantitative research; Survey research; Textual Analysis. Also look at the online titles contained in our Sage Knowledge resource.
- Search Omni to identify books at Laurier (COVID: requests to other libraries not possible)
- limit to "Available Online"
- limit to "Books and eBooks"
- Search within ebook collections to search within the full text of eBooks
- as opposed to searching just the title in Omni
- counselling: psychotherapy.net, or Counseling and Therapy
- popular motion pictures: ACF Cine, Criterion
- documentaries: Docuseek, Films on Demand
- Check for publication integrity before misconduct (Nature, Jan 7, 2020)
- The undercover academic keeping tabs on ‘predatory’ publishing (Nature, March 16, 2018)
- How Academia, Google Scholar And Predatory Publishers Help Feed Academic Fake News (Forbes, Dec 16, 2016)
- Ideal Journal of Psychology and Theology (example)
- Beall's list (wikipedia page)
- Think. Check. Submit.