Big idea: Surface web and deep web
- Surface web: The region of the Internet that anyone with Internet connect can access for free
- Deep web: The region of the Internet that requires passwords or subscriptions to access. By some estimates, the deep web is 400 times larger than the surface web
Academic search engines
Generic academic search engines for deep academic web
- Omni Tutorials
Specialized academic search engines (also know as "databases")
Psychology Search Engines
PsycINFO provides citations, most with abstracts, to journal articles, dissertations, reports, English-language book chapters and books, and other scholarly documents in the field of psychology as well as citations relevant for medicine, education, social work, law, criminology and organizational behaviour.
- Phrase operators
- Put a phrase in double qoutes
- "climate change": will search article records for the whole phrase "climate change"
- Wildcard operator
- communi*: searches for words starting with "communi". Will return "community" or "communities"
- Boolean operators
- "climate change" OR "global warming": Will search for articles with either the phrase "climate change" or "global warming"
- This is great when you aren't sure which phrase or word might be used.
garden NEAR/3 community: searches for articles where garden and community are within 3 words of each other
Indigenous search engines
- Indigenous studies subject guide
- iPortal: Indigenous Studies portal research tool, developed by the University of Saskatchewan library
- Free Prior and Informed Consent, hosted by Deyohahá:ge, the Indigenous Knowledge Centre, at Six Nations Polytechnic in the territory of Six Nations of the Grand, Oshweken, Ontario, Canada
Environment Search Engines
GreenFILE offers information covering all aspects of human impact to the environment. Its collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles includes content on the environmental effects of individuals, corporations and local/national governments, and what can be done at each level to minimize these effects. Multidisciplinary by nature, GreenFILE draws on the connections between the environment and a variety of disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health and technology. Topics covered include global climate change, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
Data and statisticss guide
Business Search Engines
Comprehensive deep web search engine, with citations and full-text content, for scholarly business journals, including the fields of marketing, management, accounting, finance and economics. Also includes books, reference works, conference proceedings, case studies, market research reports, country profiles, and other information.
This searches the region of the deep web that contains current events, business, science, the arts, and academic information as produced in Canada indexing over a thousand periodicals and daily news sources, plus several hundred available in full text.
This deep web search engine searches citations and abstracts for business and management publications, many of which are available in full-text or full-image. It incorporates management, industry and company-specific information of both a practical and theoretical nature.
Newspaper Search Engines
Some Online Journals
- Nature Climate Journal (new window)
- Urban Planning for Climate Change (new window)
- Journal of Environmental Psychology (new window)
- Environment and Behavior (new window)
- The Journal of Environmental Education (new window)
- Environmental Education Research (new window)
Books & eBooks
Recent book acquisitions
Arrived in 2020
- White, Graham. Indigenous Empowerment through Co-Management : Land Claims Boards, Wildlife Management, and Environment Regulation . Vancouver, British Columbia ;: UBC Press, 2020
- Poitras Pratt, Yvonne. Digital Storytelling in Indigenous Education : a Decolonizing Journey for a Métis Community . New York, NY: Routledge, 2020.
- Denis, Jeff. Canada at a Crossroads : Boundaries, Bridges, and Laissez-Faire Racism in Indigenous-Settler Relations . Toronto [Ontario] ;: University of Toronto Press, 2020
- Ware, Syrus Marcus, Sandy Hudson, and Rodney Diverlus. Until We Are Free : Reflections on Black Lives Matter in Canada. Regina, Saskatchewan: University of Regina Press, 2020
Marcus Grant, Richard Guise, and Hugh Barton. Shaping Neighbourhoods: For Local Health and Global Sustainability. Taylor and Francis, 2020.
- Ezeilo, Angelou, and Nick Chiles. Engage, Connect, Protect : Empowering Diverse Youth as Environmental Leaders. Gabriola Island, British Columbia: New Society Publishers, 2020.
Arrived in 2019
- Yadav, S. S. et al. Food Security and Climate Change. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2019
- Kitossa, Tamari, Erica S Lawson, and Philip S.S Howard. African Canadian Leadership: Continuity, Transition, and Transformation. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2019. Print.
- Fessmann, Jasper Colin. Strategic Climate Change Communications: Effective Approaches to Fighting Climate Denial. Wilmington, DE: Vernon Press, 2019
- Friel, Sharon. Climate Change and the People’s Health. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2019
- Beattie, Geoffrey, and Laura McGuire. The Psychology of Climate Change. Abingdon, Oxon ;: Routledge, an imprint of Taylor & Francis Group, 2019
- van der Ven, Hamish. Beyond Greenwash: Explaining Credibility in Transnational Eco-Labeling. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019. Web.
Arrived in 2018
- Franks, Benjamin, Stuart Hanscomb, and Sean Johnston. Environmental Ethics and Behavioural Change. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge, an imprint of Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Brazier, Caroline. Ecotherapy in Practice : a Buddhist Model. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge, 2018. Print.
- Berry, R. J. (Robert James). Environmental Attitudes through Time. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2018..
- DeSombre, Elizabeth R. Why Good People Do Bad Environmental Things. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2018.
St. Amand, Isabelle, and Katsitsén:hawe Linda David Cree. Stories of Oka: Land, Film, and Literature. Winnipeg, CA: University of Manitoba Press, 2018.
- Armstrong, Anne K., Marianne E. Krasny, and Jonathon P. Schuldt. Communicating Climate Change : A Guide for Educators . Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press,, 2018. Web.
- Kyle Bladow, and Jennifer Ladino. Affective Ecocriticism: Emotion, Embodiment, Environment. UNP - Nebraska, 2018. Print.
Arrived in 2017
Wener, Richard E. The Environmental Psychology of Prisons and Jails: Creating Humane Spaces in Secure Settings. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Barber, Benjamin R. Cool Cities: Urban Sovereignty and the Fix for Global Warming. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2017. Print.
Davenport, Leslie. Emotional Resiliency in the Era of Climate Change : a Clinician’s Guide . Philadelphia, PA: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2017. Print.
How to cite in APA?
- Mark Weiler
- Feel free to email email@example.com
- Available by appointments by phone, Skype, or face-to-face
Library user services desk
- online Ask Us chat box
- Available from library opening to midnight