Library web site
- the quickest tour ever: books, articles, journals, theses
what is a Library database?
- in other words, Why can't I just use Google Scholar?
- McMahon, S. L. (2014). A critical analysis of scholarship on the transmission and learning of american fiddle music: Implications of an aural tradition for music education (Order No. 3581068). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (1545957839). (see page 50, and 99)
- Waltrip, C. (2014). The cognitively impaired juvenile sex offender: A reference manual for practicing clinicians (Order No. 3639737). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (1621514648). (see page 66)
Navigating Library Databases
With the variety of tools to find information, the challenge is to use the appropriate tool(s) and methods to ensure your search for literature is both methodical and complete. Here are some steps to fine-tune your searches.
- Formulate specific research questions
- identify the key elements of your questions
- Consider word variations and synonyms
- widen the scope of your results; think about how others might refer to your ideas
- e.g, community = neighbourhood, public, school, society
- Use Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT)
- AND = results will contain all the terms
- OR = results will contain at least one of the terms
- NOT = results will exclude the term
- Parentheses and Boolean operators can be used to set apart search groups
- Limit or expand terms
- "quotation marks" = exact
- truncat* = truncate, truncates, truncated, truncation, etc.
- Employ search limiters (available limiters depend on the database)
- peer reviewed, article type, date
- in RILM, this can include
- language, and major topics
- Identify key publications and authors
- note citations, and cited references, repeated author names
- Document and track everything you do in the steps above
Choosing a Library Database
- RILM Abstracts of Music Literature
- contains bibliographic records of scholarly research material centred on international music topics
- Music Periodicals Database
- geared slight more to popular music
If you cannot find the item in Omni
- Use WorldCat to identify books available in other libraries.
- Requesting Interlibrary Loans video (2:26)
- Search within ebook collections to search within the full text of available books (as opposed to searching just the title in Omni)